Monday 30 May 2011

Immenent Change

Understand this clearly, every prison is different from the next… the culture, atmosphere and code in terms of how it is run. It is this multitude of prison cultures coming together in one prison where things start to either improve or get worse… Generally you find a city prison and then there are the farm-prisons. Take Sun City for example, it is located in Naturena and practically in the local township of Soweto. (South western townships) Now in these kind of prisons a thing we call “Wetslaan” occurs 24hour a day. Fights, stabbing and other forms of violence are common and one becomes so used to it that it becomes part of our every day life. Smokkel and other forms of corruption is practically invented in these types of prisons, which is why it is sometimes referred to as the University of Criminology. In certain instances you may even find the authorities being members of a specific gang, like Mr T. in Sun City… Also the mindset of inmates is very different from those in farm prisons.
In farm prisons such as Zonderwater, the set-up is totally different. It is rare that any Gatta could involve them-selves in gangsterism. In general things are a little more laid back, however the problem arrises when there is an influx of city prison inmates … I can only describe it as upsetting the equilibrium, and this bring about change…
Whilst playing a rugby match this week, there was a brawl so violent between some player and opposing gang members that sport has been suspended till further notice. It sucks but there is nothing we can do about it. It just goes to show how the actions of one or a small minority could influence the lives of many…
I heard a rumour via radio bandiet that the Area Commissioner is planning a Drama- showpiece of the play Stone Cold Jug, by Herman Charles Bosman… It is said that inmates will star in this play and he wants the play open to the public here in prison. It’s all part of his rehabilitation vision with the Grow 4 Life project. How all this is going to work is a mystery. Anyway like I said I heard about it from an inmate Martin “Thank the Lord” . Yes, that actually is his true second name. I must confess that I am actually a little exited about the play, providing it is true of corse…
Another issue that I personally struggle to come to terms with is the damn TV’s in the cells. It is always played at full volume and 90% of the time it is on some Kak SABC1 program in an indigenous language with local dramas with no real story line and real bad actors… why is everyone so concerned to cater for the masses? Have you watched and thing on SABC1 lately??? My view is it is because of the masses that the country is in such a state, but hey my opinion is only my opinion and it is small things like this TV-issue that is starting to frustrate me these days. The same type of incompetence that we find in the city prison Gatta is starting to emerge in farm Gatta’s…  Worrying, very worrying…
It is because of my pent-up frustration that one evening I lost my temper in the cell and revealed my suppressed violent side to some wanna-be clever previously disadvantaged shack dweller… I can’t understand this about the Caucasian male is SA. It is that they can’t speak up for themselves. Everybody will always have a complaint, opinion or issue about the same thing with a thousand solutions- but nobody wants to actually do anything about it. Like they are afraid… well I just decided stuff that! NO more! I rebelled about the issue of the irritating TV, lack of cultural representation and the deafening volume. Most of the “masses” just stood there with wide eyes except one skinny smart-ass who tried to get clever… He pointed his finger directly at my face trying to impress his buddies. I punched him so hard that he actually was out-cold for about 5 minutes. The moment I punched him and he fell, I started regretting my actions… The possibility of isolation again...
This morning the assault case that this twat opened against me got ruled in my favour and it was ruled by the CMC that I was provoked into reacting the way I did. This meant that I did not have to go to the bom. I kind of feel on a high and to celebrate this victory Riaan and Boela organized some Mbamba for us ….
As the prison is gradually changing, so is my soberness and I’m expecting one hell of a hang-over tomorrow… AWÉ!
Ponder on this:  “The Meter is the length equal to 1650763.73 wavelengths of the orange line in the spectrum of an internationally specified Krypton 86 discharge lamp…”

3 comments:

  1. Any more updates? I was just bored at work and started googling all sorts of things when I came across this, you make a damn good writter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, any more updates? I don't know why but I am fascinated by prisons and prison life.

    ReplyDelete