Friday 20 May 2011

I feel like Paulie Shore

Well, Zonderwater certainly is not your typical prison. It is built in a circular shape, with a cross dividing it in four quarters or sections, with a tall watch tower it the centre. I’m sure it must be a weird sight on www.GoogleEarth.com. Anyway, there is an internal and big external sports fields, birdcages and workshops… Everybody here is so friendly and that makes me unsure… this is also the first time I see female warders inside the prison, working amongst the convicts. It becomes evident that this place was designed for inmates doing long sentences…
I’m booked to stay in B-unit, which is the unit all the workers live. A-unit is the admission unit, C-unit is where all the scum live and D-unit has a school. It all feels quite overwhelming looking at all the grass in Bravo unit. This really doesn’t feel like prison, somehow it has calmness about it. My first contact with an inmate is with Boela, he is short with red hair and no front teeth. His first question to me is “do you play rugby?” this done with almost puppy eyes. I reply “yes, I do” and then what I could only describe as an avalanche of questions followed. Anyway Boela is satisfied with all my answers and immediately spreads the word of a new player on the scene. Boela is serving 28 years, 20 for murder and 8 for burning the corpses…Next up is Martiens a wiry thin and tall man comes walking up to me with another oke called Deon and both tell me they are also rugby players. Martiens is serving 30 years for shooting-up a garage and some petrol attendants and Deon is serving 40 years for killing his wife… the thing about this prison that strikes me the most, is the almost non-existent gangster signs … I’m booked into my Cell and spend the next couple of hours exploring my new unit.
A bell rings which I learn indicates lock-up and everybody Folla outside their cells. The cell are built for 17 inmates but is occupied by 36. Anyway, it isn’t too overcrowded compared to the 70 – 110 inmates per cell I was used to. There is a TV in the cell, warm water and the toilets have chest hight doors that can close for the illusion of privacy, the shower has a prison sheet for a curtain which I think is a nice touch… Nice… It is almost humane. I fell asleep early due to all the excitement of the day and all the fresh air in this place. Cullinan being a farm town and this almost a self-sustaining prison. I feel like Polly shore in Son-in-law…
The following day I’m called to see the CMC of the prison where a lot of things about the prison is explained. This prison does not tolerate any form of gangsterism. The Gatta’s will not only beat the shit out of you, but also send you to another prison if they just suspect you of involvement with such things. Criteria for the workshops is explained, my sentence plan as well as my expected behaviour… All this is done very professionally and I wonder how realistic their expectations are. The head of prison Mr Mkwanazi introduces himself and I can’t help thinking that everything in this prison is to mellow, which baffles me. Once that compulsory meeting was over I’m told to leave and enjoy the rest of my day. What the fuck??? Again it feels unreal.
On my way back to B-unit I decide to take a stroll in D-unit where the library, a school and a gym is located. I instantly prefer D to B-unit. Obviously radio bandiet reaches all the inmates there and I’m soon introduced to all the who’s who in this section. It’s during these conversations that I hear about the big rugby rivalry between D and B-unit. I meet Riaan, and ex Blue Bull eight man, Chad, the chairman of the rugby committee and Glen, a very energetic individual. All pleasant guys judging by first impressions. Riaan invites me to gym in his group and subtly tells me how he’s gonna test me in the scheduled rugby sevens tournament next week…
Okay, I’m unfit and haven’t played for some time but I’m up far a challenge. Boela comes into D-unit and from a distance I hear him swearing and cursing to the opposition to stop trying to poach his player… Everyone laughs… it’s been ages since I laughed… we head back to B-unit and Boela informs me about training for the sevens tournament on Monday…
Around two ‘o clock we go to pagga in the scully and we are served chicken, pap, cabbage and beetroot. After pagga I can make a call to my folks and tell them about this prison and that I’m ok… My visit is scheduled for the weekend and I look forward to it. I’m still a B-group prisoner which means I don’t have contact visits yet and have to see my people in the Fishtank…
Believe me, there is just something about seeing your parents that lifts your spirit. The visit procedure in this prison is simple, the facilities clean and I really enjoyed it. I actually feel a little emotional and ashamed whilst sitting there before my mom and dad in the orange prison clothes… I feel so ashamed of myself and sorry for everything I am putting them through, but I try not to show it. Our 45minutes fly by and its time to face reality, back to PRISON…
On my way back from visit I bump into an inmate who appears so stupid that looking into his eyes I feel as if I can almost see the back of his head. His name is Skollie. He is tattooed all over except for his face and hands. He swears while walking away and I hear something about showing me in the game tomorrow… it is at this point that I realize all issues are solved on the field…
The game of rugby was very brutal. C and A-unit played their game first and C won 17/13… the interest in this sport amazes me! There are many Gatta’s beside the field behaving as if it were their 10year old son’s first game… Side betting in on and Delta is tipped to lose to Bravo 2 to 1…
The mach starts with yours truly kicking off and we’re defending. It is tough but I make a couple of classic tackles and try not to over exert myself due to fitness reasons… Suddenly we get a turn over ball and by some miracle I receive the ball and score a try. Everyone is impressed, I tell myself this is easy. Big mistake!!! Kick-off and Riaan receives the ball, he runs like a bulldozer straight at me. All I can think of is this ex pro coming right at me. So I do what every self respecting player would do, I go low and hard… Riaan is around 6’4 and 112kg’s, and I feel it!!! Every bone in my body rattles from the impact and I barely manage to get a hold of a place on his frame. Somehow he stumbles and we both go down to the ground. A ruck forms and delta has an overlap on the blind side and scores… the whistle blows and the game is over. For some reason I am the focus of attention and Riaan is smiling at me. I learnt that since he came to Zonderwater nobody has been able to tackle this behemoth of a man alone, which means his team always had an advantage… Everyone seems to think I’m the defence answer to Riaan. I definitely don’t agree, but for now I’ll let them think that.

                 I also realised something else, a lot of these guys claim to be superstars, but can barely catch the ball… Typical prison talk! Skollie proved such a case indeed and was hardly seen during the game. While I’m struggling to come to terms with the different prisons, I’m left confused. Some of the inmate’s in this place actually seem normal, but not all of them. In my next update I’ll tell you about the history of some of the guys… Meanwhile the Delta-unit rugby team is trying their best to move me into the student section.

Quote of the week: “Never do anything you don’t want to explain to the paramedics          later..”

No comments:

Post a Comment